Thursday 6 August 2015

Scrap the Boys share for August

Another month has rolled around and that means time for a new challenge at Scrap the Boys. This month the challenge was to be inspired by or use the following quote:




You can also use a photo of you and your boy for this challenge. I firstly got inspired by the colours from the image and the little soft hearts in the jar so thought I would try and use these ideas in my design also, and as I had recently managed to get a couple of good photos of my boy I decided to use them and not one including me.


For my background I decided to play around with the bokeh technique, but instead of using a circle shape I went with a heart shape to experiment, and I was thrilled with the outcome!


Other than the background, the rest of the page is fairly simple. I am loving playing with the punchinella from D-lish Scraps, and the cool crosses (or x's) from Charms Creations are awesome to play with too.


 I love to layer the Charms Creations and create a cluster with them to really ground them in the page design. Here I layered with a flair button and journal spot (both also from D-lish Scraps).


I do really love how the bokeh effect came out. To do this I started with some distress inks and gently covered and blended them on the background, I then gently misted this with water to soften the effect and let them blend a bit more. (I think I used cracked pistachio and tumbled glass.) Then I cut a heart shape in three different sizes out of card to use as a mask. (Using the negative cut of the heart.)

Starting with the biggest heart I randomly inked the heart with white ink around the page and let it dry. Then I did the same with the next size, allowing overlaps here and there, and finally finishing with the smallest heart doing the same thing. I did go back over the smallest hearts for a second time with the ink to make them stand out a little more. But otherwise this is a really simple technique and it created such a soft and dreamy effect.

Make sure you stop by the Scrap the Boys page and check out the other great samples by the team and remember there will be a second reveal mid-month.

Thanks for stopping by,

Katie x

2 comments:

Amanda Baldwin said...

A fabulous page, & a really awesome technique too! Thanks for sharing :)

squoodger said...

Way cool technique from one of my fav aussie scrappers! you go girl!